I was walking home Wednesday evening, working through my Instapaper account, when I came across this quote — I liked it, so I used Instapaper’s sharing functions to post it here to Tumblr. One actual friend retweeted it, then a few of her friends, and less than 48 hours later, we have the most reblogged and liked thing I’ve ever posted on Tumblr.
Some quick notes regarding a post gone viral:
- It shows no signs of slowing down anytime soon.
- The vast vast majority of those reblogging this quote have not added any further comments to it.
- Maybe because I didn’t? Maybe because the original writer said it well enough on her own? Who knows.
- They add tags, though, with stuff like “THIS” or “YES GOOD.” I suppose this is the thing all the kids are doing these days.
- I would love to know how many people actually clicked through to read the piece. I’d like to think it’s a large percentage, but there’s no way of knowing without sneaking into ThinkProgress’s stats.
- I will also observe that over 1,400 reblogs/likes? Equals exactly ONE new follower. (Related topic for a later date: “Why aren’t more people following meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.”)
- That’s not a big deal, though. I mean, I am genuinely gratified to have posted something which clearly resonates profoundly with the Tumblr userbase.
- I guess I’m just missing Tumblrarity. Just a little bit.
- monsterbeard likes this
- cjguest likes this
- sophiahelix said: Oh, hah, that was all over my dash yesterday and I didn’t even know that was from you originally.
- sirhellsing420 reblogged this from lizlet
- spytap said: Also: the effort that one puts into a tumblr post is directly inverse to its popularity on the platform.
- sirhellsing420 likes this
- tarysande likes this
- lizlet posted this